Green smoothies are taking over the world …literally! They are healthy, clean,vitamin and nutrient rich and packed with all sorts of amazing goodness. I know I know, the thought of drinking a drink made out of spinach, celery and parsley is making you go blegh but don’t click away just yet. I promise you with the right ingredients, you can make your green smoothies taste delicious and very, very appealing. Plus there is the promise of myriad health benefits which outweigh any doubts you may have.
Imagine having all those fruits and greens in one sitting!
Top 5 reasons you should be drinking green smoothies daily :
High in Fibre – Compared to fruit and vegetable juices where only the juice is extracted, whole fruit and veggies are blended keeping all that amazing fibre intact along with all the vitamins and minerals.
Easy digestion – Being raw and blended smooth, this green potion digests very easily. Our body is not working over time to break down heavy, processed foods.
More veggies in a glass – How often do we really consume the recommended daily intake of vegetables? Green smoothies are a great way to pack in those veggies without even realising it – with the right recipe and taste, you can even get the kids to join in !
Detox – Feeling heavy, sluggish and bloated? Go on a green smoothie detox. It will inarguably leave you feeling envigorated, energetic and revitalised. You may also want to try the Lemon,Cucumber and Mint Detox.
Health, Health, Health - No one else is responsible for your personal health other you! The effects of green smoothies on your long term health cannot be refuted. Weight loss , better digestion , cancer prevention, clearer skin, hair fall prevention, increased energy, wards off common colds, increased blood circulation, lowered depression, curbed appetite and cravings for processed food to name just a few!
Hooked ? Excellent! So you are asking , what’s next ? How do I make my own green drink? Now there are literally thousands of recipes out there which make the whole process difficult and somewhat confusing. Where do I begin ? Lets go back to basics, a simple recipe to start off with, tried and tested for taste and that every so crucial yummilicious factor. As you slowly get used to the taste, you can add and experiment with more ingredients. I will be sharing my own creations as well but for now, without further adieu, here it is!
Pick Me Up Baby!
You will need :
- A good, solid blender.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 apple cut into slices
- 1 banana cut into chunks
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 2 cups of chopped spinach
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 lemon peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 orange peeled and roughly chopped
- handful of grapes
- 1/2 bunch of parsley
- Handful of coriander leaves
- 5-6 mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon raw psyllium powdered husks (optional)*
- handful of salad rocket leaves (optional)
Whizz away ina blender until smooth. Serve up!
- As you may have noticed I have not added any sweeteners but if you find the taste too tart for your liking, feel free to throw in a handful of dates. Dates are iron rich and a great natural sweetener.
- I have added psyllium in my smoothie recipe as an added source of fibre for those suffering from constipation and high cholesterol.
- Green smoothies can be stored in the fridge for up to 48 hours so it is okay to prepare a night ahead if you are worried about waking everyone up with the blender whizzing away in the morning.
- Makes for a perfect start to the day and is also recommended as a pre and post workout drink.
So what are you waiting for? Get whizzing!
Have you recently started drinking green smoothies? Share your experience with us! Do you have a favorite recipe, leave us a link in the comments. If you are new to the green smoothie revolution , would you consider starting after reading this post ?